The Albanian Government continued its tender procedures during March – June for the reconstruction and development of buildings and areas damaged by the November 26th 2019 earthquake. So far, there are two authorities involved: the Albanian Development Fund and the Municipality of Tirana. Open Procurement Albania is preparing passports for every tender and contract procedure related to this programme. So far, several contracts are announced by the Albanian Government. The procedure selected for tenders is the restricted (not the open) procedure, and the deadline for expression of interest in each case is no longer than 10 calendar days. The Procedure and Deadline are predetermined by Normative Act No. 9, dated 16.12.2019 on Dealing with the Consequences of the Natural Disaster, a normative act equivalent to a law. This is done by avoiding and bypassing the regular application of the common rules and legislation on Public Procurement. The same procedure and the same deadline were applied even in the case of contracts exceeding the High Monetary Limit, which requiring international competition and call. The deadline for expression of interest by law in the case of the limited procedure is at least 20 working days for each phase, while the limited procedure is used only in specific cases. The application of rules and procedures pre-determined by a Normative Act through very short deadlines and the Limited Procedure corresponds with situations exposed to higher risks related to competition and bid efficiency. Below are the tenders announced so far (June 2019)
List of Tenders Reconstruction Program from the Albanian Development Fund includes 18 http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/list/keyword/Programi%20i%20Rindertimit?
These 18 tenders of the Albanian Development Fund have a total value limit of 14 281 395 708 (fourteen billion and two hundred and eighty-one million, and three hundred and ninety-five thousand and seven hundred and eight) Lekë. This is equal approximately to 116.1 million euros. Tenders are listed as follows:
- Reconstruction of individual residences and reconstruction of public infrastructure and any other interventions serving the reconstruction of these homes. For a fund of 6 186 125 775 (six billion and one hundred and eighty-six million and one hundred and twenty-five thousand and seven hundred and seventy-five) Lekë. The budget projected for this year (2020) is 5,49 billion lekë. The budget has been made available by the Albanian Government’s (not donors) budget. The scope of the Framework agreement includes the reconstruction of individual homes, construction and reconstruction of public infrastructure, and any other intervention serving these homes on the territory of the municipalities of Durres, Kamza, Kavaja, Rrogozhina, Kruja, Kurbin, Lezha, Mirdita, Shijak, and Vora. This tender was originally announced on March 10th, 2020, with a deadline for submission of expression of interest of only 9 days. The tender failed and was re-announced on April 28th, 2020. The Albanian Development Fund has not yet announced who was qualified, has not identified the winning bid, and has not announced the signing of any contract as part of the Framework Agreement for this tender Link http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/view/id/293
- The next tender is the Construction and Reconstruction of public infrastructure in the new areas announced for Mandatory Development. For a projected value of up to 3 726 934 577 (three billion and seven hundred and twenty-six million and nine hundred and thirty-four thousand and five hundred and seventy-seven) Lekë, or approximately 30.3 million euros. The budget allocated for this tender for 2020 is 745 389 915 million lekë. The scope of the framework agreement consists of the infrastructure of these zones, and utility, and urban infrastructure. The public infrastructure means the construction sites in areas assigned for free development and available for construction, the transport infrastructure, water supply and sewage infrastructure, energy supply infrastructure, community infrastructure of squares, parks, sports playgrounds, and public lighting on the territory of the municipalities of Durres, Kamza, Kavaja, Rrogozhina, Kruja, Kurbin, Lezha, Mirdita, Shijak, and Vora. This tender was announced on April 28th, and there is no yet any information about its progress Link http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/view/id/323
- Equally, another lot procedure is also announced on March 17th for a total fund limit of 4,175,217,853 (four billion and node hundred and seventy-five million and two hundred and seventeen thousand and eight hundred and fifty-three) lekë without VAT. The budget available for 2020 is 1,043,804,463 lekë without VAT. Lots are as follows:
- Lot 1. The reconstruction of educational facilities in the areas affected by the earthquake with a funding source includes the Reconstruction Fund, Budget approved by decision no. 212, dated 11. 03. 2020 on the Use of the Reconstruction Fund to fund reconstruction of educational facilities. The value without VAT is 511 405 370 lekë. http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/vieë/id/297
- Lot 2. Reconstruction of schools, Municipality of Kruja, for a value of 490 413 615 lekë without VAT. Lot 2 includes the 9-year elementary school “Selman Daci”, the 9-year elementary school and kindergarten “Ramazan Jangozi”, the 9-year elementary school and kindergarten “Kastriot Derveni”, the 9-year elementary school Gjon Luka, Luz. The total construction surface of all these buildings is approximately 10 691 m2. The call was announced on 17 March. The submission deadline is 27 March. LINK http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/vieë/id/298
- Lot 3. Reconstruction of educational facilities, Municipality of Durres for a value of 845 723 696 lekë without VAT. The educational facilities included in Lot 3 are: the 9-year elementary school and the kindergarten “Bedrie Beziqi”, kindergarten “Met Hasa”, the 9-year elementary school “Neim Babameto”, the 9-year elementary school and kindergarten “Hasan Koci”, all with a total construction surface of approximately 18 438 m2. Link http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/vieë/id/299
- Lot 4. The reconstruction of educational facilities, Durres Municipality 2, for a value of 850 692 969 lekë. The educational facilities included in lot 4 are Shaqe Mazreku School, the joint High School Rexhep Mesini, the 9-year elementary school and kindergarten Adem Gjeli, the 9-year elementary school Xhelal Shtufi Shkafanaj, the Njazi Mastori 2+3, school and kindergarten, the 9-year elementary school Vellezrit Haradinaj, all with a total construction surface of approximately 18 545 m2. LINK http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/vieë/id/300
- Lot 5. The reconstruction of educational facilities in Kavaja and Rrogozhina Municipality for a value 414 766 205 lekë without VAT. The educational facilities included in lot 5 are the vocational school Charles Teleford Erickson, the 9-year elementary Shtodher, the vocational school 26 Marsi, Golem dormitory, the 9-year elementary school of Gosa, the elementary school and the kindergarten of Vila Bashtove, all with a construction surface of approximately 9041 m2. http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/vieë/id/301
- Lot 6. The reconstruction of educational facilities in Kamza municipality for a value of 621 757 340 lekë without VAT. The educational facilities included in lot 6 are the 9-year elementary school Halil Coka, the secondary school Sulejman Elezi, the kindergarten Lidhja e Prizrenit Paskuqan, the kindergarten Halit Coka, all with a construction surface of approximately 13 555 m2. Link http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/vieë/id/302
- Lot 7. The reconstruction of educational facilities in the municipality of Shijak for a value of 440 458 658 lekë without VAT. The educational facilities included in lot 7 are: the 9-year elementary school Ramazan Subashi, the 9-year elementary school Ahmetaq, the kindergarten in Kodër Berxullë, the kindergarten in Marqinet, the 9 year elementary school Lidhja e Prizrenit, the general secondary school 16 Shtatori, kindergarten no. 1, Vlashaj kindergarten, the secondary school Kajo Karafili, all with a construction surface of approximately 9 602 m2. http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/view/id/303
- The other tenders consist of monitoring the execution of the key contracts and lots. Link http://openprocurement.al/sq/albaniandf/list/keyword/Programi%20i%20Rindertimit?
Another institution involved in the Reconstruction Programme tenders is the main Municipality in the country, i.e. the Municipality of Tirana. This municipality is the only one, which, using funds from the central budget, will manage the reconstruction tenders on its own territory on its own.
So far, this municipality has announced several tenders Link: http://openprocurement.al/sq/tender/list/keyword/Programi%20i%20Rindertimit?
But so far, the highest-value tender remains the one for the reconstruction of individual homes, within and outside the new areas designated for development, construction and reconstruction of public infrastructure, as well as any other interventions serving the reconstruction of individual homes outside the new development areas.
This tender has a fund limit of 2 123 598 655 leks (two billion and one hundred and twenty-three million and five hundred and ninety-eight thousand and six hundred and fifty-five) lekë or about 17.26 million euros. The tender was announced in March with a smaller fund limit, but it failed, as none of the bids submitted did not comply with the criteria defined in the tender documents. The tender was re-announced in May with a higher value, and after several changes to the budget allocated to Tirana Municipality by a decision of the Council of Ministers. Even in this tender, the applied procedure is the limited procedure. Several areas are so far designated on Tirana’s territory for development after the earthquake, including 5 Maji, Autotraktoret, Kombinat, Agricultural University, Baldushk, Vaqarr, and Zall Herr. All the decisions of the Council of Ministers designating these areas are listed in our tender passports, and the decisions contain the coordinates and satellite photos of the respective area. http://openprocurement.al/sq/tender/vieë/id/32944
Tirana municipality has also announced tenders for designing several schools to be reconstructed following the earthquake http://openprocurement.al/sq/tender/list/keyëord/Programi%20i%20Rindertimit?
The Albanian government’s reconstruction programme, designed in January – February 2020, following the earthquake and emergency situation for natural disasters. The Albanian government, through its Albanian Reconstruction Committee, has estimated that the total need for reconstruction is 1,076.15 billion euros (132.4 billion Lek), including all the sectors for interventions in 11 municipalities in the country.
This amount will be used for reconstruction through a programme that the Albanian government has baptized as the Reconstruction Programme. Monitoring and public information on this process is an important moment that relates to the efficiency, management, and trust of the citizens in the process.